Crab and papaya slaw salad with coriander nahm jim
- March 2019
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side
- Hands-on time 20 min
”A proper pick-me-up salad combining crab with a punchy, sweet and tangy dressing.” – Georgina Hayden
- Dairy-free recipes
- 16.8g (2.6g saturated)
- 14.2g (11.5g sugars)
For the coriander nahm jim
- 2-3 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- Juice 1-2 limes, plus extra wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- Large bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
For the salad
- 75g unsalted cashews, toasted in a dry pan until golden, chopped
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 300g radishes (mixed colour if you can find them), trimmed and sliced
- 1 green or unripe papaya (or mango), peeled, seeds/stone removed and peeled into strips with julienne peeler (see tips)
- 200g fresh crabmeat (ideally use half white, half brown meat)
- Small bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked (or use fresh basil)
You’ll also need…
Food processor or blender
- For the coriander nahm jim, put the chillies, garlic, ginger, juice of 1 lime, vegetable/coconut oil, fish sauce, sugar and most of the coriander in a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth. Taste and tweak the seasoning, adding an extra splash of lime juice if needed – it should be punchy, sweet and tangy. Pour into a large serving bowl or platter (see tips).
- To make the salad, toss the chopped toasted cashews in the bowl or platter with the spring onions, radishes and papaya/mango (see tips). Scatter over the crabmeat, Thai basil and remaining coriander, then serve straightaway with lime wedges.
Nahm jim is so versatile. Another time, try it drizzled over grilled prawns or chicken thighs, or toss a seared beef noodle salad with it.
If you can’t find green or unripe papaya or mango use the firmest ripe mango you can find.
Make the nahm jim dressing a few hours ahead, then keep covered in the fridge. Nahm jim is a spicy Thai dipping sauce typically combining hot (chilli), sour (lime juice), salty (fish sauce) and sweet flavours (brown sugar).
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...