- January 2005
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 450g raw peeled tiger prawns
- 6 tbsp semolina
- Sunflower oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 lemon
- 6 radishes
- Take a large shallow dish. Measure out the turmeric and chilli powder and add to the dish. Crush the garlic in a garlic crusher and add to the spices. Mix together.
- Drain the prawns using a sieve, then add the prawns to the spices and stir to coat.
- Put the semolina into another shallow dish, add the prawns and mix to coat in the semolina. Get a baking tray covered with crumpled kitchen paper ready to put the prawns on when cooked.
- Take a large frying pan, pour in a 2cm depth of sunflower oil and heat it gently for about 5 minutes. To test the oil is hot enough, add a cube of bread – it should turn golden in 15 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to add half the prawns to the hot oil – stand well back as the oil will spit when the prawns are added. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the prawns are pale golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared tray to drain off any excess oil. Repeat to cook the remaining prawns.
- Meanwhile, cut the lemon into 6 wedges. Fill a bowl with cold water, plunge the radishes and their leaves in and clean off any dirt. Serve the prawns with a wedge of lemon and some crunchy radishes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Try scampi and chips our way – the scampi in breadcrumbs, fried for 1-2 minutes...