- August 2009
- For 6-8 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 10-12 minutes to cook
The perfect outdoor snack to make with kids. Next time you have a barbecue or go camping, find some long sticks and make damper bread to cook over the campfire.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 500g self-raising flour
- 80g golden caster sugar
- Strawberry jam or chocolate spread, to serve
- Find 8 long sticks (about 50cm) and cover half of each one with foil. Put the flour into a big bowl. Add the sugar and mix. Pour 200ml water onto the flour and mix to a dough. Knead lightly in the bowl until the dough comes together, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture in half, then break each half into 4 equal pieces so that you have 8 pieces of dough.
- Take 1 lump of dough and roll it between your hands to make a sausage shape. Wrap the dough around the foil-covered end of the stick and gently press it onto the stick so that it won’t fall off.
- Cook the dampers over a campfire or barbecue for 10-12 minutes – keep turning them so they turn golden brown all over.
- Carefully tap the dough with your finger – when it’s cooked, it should feel solid when you tap it. Wrap some kitchen paper or a napkin around the damper and pull off the stick.
- Fill the middle of each damper with either jam or chocolate spread.
To make savoury dampers, reduce the sugar to 50g, and add 50g grated cheddar and a handful chopped flatleaf parsley – serve them with cooked sausages and tomato ketchup inside.
Rate & review