Falafel and salad pittas
- May 2007
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley
- Large handful fresh coriander, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 150ml vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 8 wholemeal pitta breads, warmed
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cucumber, thickly sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Pulse the chickpeas in a processor until coarsely ground. Add the onion, herbs, garlic, flour, baking powder, chilli, cumin and tahini, if using, and pulse to a coarse paste. Season, shape into 16 small discs and chill on a baking tray for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add half the falafel and cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper while you cook the rest.
- Fill each pitta with 2 falafel and some tomato, cucumber and extra coriander leaves. Serve 2 per person, with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...