Feta parcels with grilled courgettes and peaches
- June 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 min, plus 10 minutes marinating
Wrap feta in courgette ribbons and grill or barbecue to make this delicious vegetarian starter or main. Serve with juicy grilled peaches.
Baked feta fan? How about baked feta with honey, chilli and parsley for your next hot cheese fix?
- Vegetarian recipes
- 35.3g (15.9g saturated)
- 13.1g (12.6g sugars)
- 2 ripe peaches, halved and stoned
- 2 x 200g packs feta, halved to make 4 rectangular pieces
- 3 courgettes, sliced into 2-3mm thick ribbons
- 5 tbsp olive oil
For the rub
- Grated zest 1 unwaxed lemon
- Grated zest 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, picked
- 1 tsp paprika (used smoked sweet paprika if you have it)
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- Heat/light the barbecue for direct medium heat (coals evenly distributed over the base of the barbecue).
- For the rub, heat the oven to its lowest setting. Spread out the zests on a baking tray and bake on the lowest oven shelf for 10 minutes or until dried out (check regularly to make sure it doesn’t burn), then set aside to cool.
- Mix the fennel seeds with the sea salt, sugar and chilli flakes in a pestle and mortar, then grind until fine. Add the thyme and dried zest, then grind again until fine. Mix with the paprika and garlic granules.
- Put the rub on a large plate, then press each cut side of the peach in the rub to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Next press the feta gently into the rub to coat on both sides. Let it rest for 10 minutes, then put in a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tsp more of the rub mixture, tossing to coat. Leave to rest for 5 more minutes. Pat the courgette strips dry with kitchen paper. Wrap each piece of cheese in 2-3 courgette strips, securing with cocktail sticks. 6 Brush each cheese parcel all over with oil, then do the same with the cut surface of the peaches. Grill the cheese parcels for 2 3 minutes on each side, then grill the peaches, cut-side down, for 3 minutes until lightly brown and a little soft. Set the cheese parcels and peaches aside to rest for 5 minutes. Mix the remaining courgette strips in the bowl with 1 tbsp oil. Grill the strips on both sides for 1 minute on each side until browned.
- Arrange the parcels, peaches and courgettes on a platter, drizzle with the remaining oil, scatter over any remaining rub mixture and serve immediately
Don’t want to BBQ? Cook the parcels in a hot oven or under a medium grill, turning regularly, until the cheese is meltingly soft.
Use it up: Use leftover citrus juice to marinate chicken thighs – just combine with seasoning and a little oil.
Next time: Replace the feta with saganaki grilling cheese.
Assemble the cheese parcels up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill until ready to cook. The rub will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lemon courgettes, feta and watercress salad
The peppery flavour of watercress is ideal for this Greek-inspired salad recipe, which is perfect...
Grilled peach panzanella, toasted almonds and burrata
Sweet peaches, toasted almonds and creamy burrata go into this gorgeous panzanella salad recipe. Easy-to-make...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...