Gluten-free Bakewell tart
- May 2009
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 30 min, oven time 45
Phil Vickery’s gluten-free recipe has no flour and uses almonds to give it its gorgeous texture. The centre will sink considerably but that’s quite normal.
- Gluten-free recipes
For the pastry
- 100g cornflour
- 100g rice flour
- 80g unrefined caster sugar
- 100g butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- Juice of 1 small lime
- Finely grated zest of 1 small orange
- Cornflour, for dusting
For the filling
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 125g ground almonds
- Lightly whipped cream, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Place the cornflour, rice flour and sugar together in a food processor and blend well. Add the cubed butter and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the lime juice and orange zest and bring together, then turn out and knead the dough.
- Roll the dough out quickly and evenly, using a little extra cornflour and use to line a 24 x 3cm round non-stick, deep pie dish. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes to set and lightly colour the pastry.
- Turn the oven up to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Spread both the jams onto the part-cooked pastry base. Meanwhile, place the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until very stiff – about 15 minutes on high speed.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix carefully. Next, fold in the ground almonds and spoon the mixture into the pastry shell. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge is cooked and the pastry light brown. Cool and serve with a little lightly whipped cream.
Make the recipe up to 24 hours in advance and store somewhere cool in an airtight container
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...