Korean fried chicken bowls
- December 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min, plus marinating
If you’ve ever tried Korean fried chicken you’ll understand its instant appeal: super crispy chicken bathed in a sauce spiked with gochujang, Korea’s famous spice paste. In this recipe, nuggets of chicken thigh meat are unashamedly made crunchy by being baked in the oven with crushed cornflakes. It’s a crispy chicken tip that works beautifully. Serve this up for dinner or save it for a lunch box – either way it’s a treat of a meal.
Or, add some heat to your next roast dinner with this Korean-spiced roast chicken and kimchi rice recipe.
For more of Donal’s recipes, visit donalskehan.com.
- 10.8g fat (2.5g saturated)
- 42.2g protein
- 89.4g carbs (21.7g sugars)
- 9g fibre
- 3.1g salt
For the chicken
- 250ml buttermilk
- 8 free-range skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 100g cornflakes
- 75g plain flour
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Sunflower oil spray
For the sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 large thumb-size piece of ginger, finely grated
- 6 tbsp light soy sauce
- 75g gochujang (Korean chili paste, available from larger supermarkets)
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
For the bowls
- 250g sticky rice, cooked
- ½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 100g radishes, thickly sliced
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
You’ll also need
- Large freezer bag
- Baking sheet lined with compostable baking paper
- In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk with a generous pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Add the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the cornflakes into the freezer bag and, with a rolling pin, crush them to a coarse powder. Add the flour, chilli and garlic to the bag with some seasoning, then seal the bag and shake it until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the dry mixture into a large, wide shallow bowl. Using tongs, lift the chicken pieces out of the buttermilk marinade one by one (shaking off any excess), then toss gently in the dry mixture until coated on all sides.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and lightly spritz with sunflower oil. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and crispy, turning halfway through to make sure the pieces are golden on all sides.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together, then bring to a low simmer over a medium heat, cooking until the sugar has just dissolved – about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- When the chicken is cooked, brush the pieces with the sauce, then assemble in serving bowls with the sticky rice, cabbage, radishes, spring onions, sesame seeds and plenty of coriander leaves. Drizzle over more of the spicy sauce and serve the remainder alongside.
Rate & review