Korean-style ‘clay pot’ barbecue tofu
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 min, Oven time 20 min
A sticky mix of sriracha chilli sauce, stem ginger, muscovado sugar and ketchup is whizzed together and cooked clay pot-style with tofu, mushrooms, cabbage and rice. It’s SO good.
Take a look at these five-spice tofu nuggets for another way with a pack of tofu.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10g (1.8g saturated)
- 68.3g (32g sugars)
- 110g sriracha chilli sauce
- 2-3 balls stem ginger, chopped (from a jar)
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 4 tsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 280g extra-firm tofu
- 400g halved mushrooms
- 350g sliced cabbage
- 200g pack of sticky rice
- Handful of chopped radishes
- ¼ sliced cucumber
- 3 chopped spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Few tbsp kimchi (see Know-how)
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/ gas 7. Whizz the sriracha chilli sauce, stem ginger, muscovado sugar, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup and tamari soy sauce in a miniblender until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut the extra-firm tofu into 4 even slices. Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a shallow hob-safe casserole over a high heat and fry the tofu pieces for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Put on a plate. Add the halved mushrooms to the casserole, then fry until just golden.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, push the mushrooms to one side, then arrange the sliced cabbage beside them. Put the tofu in the centre, pour over the sauce, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook a the sticky rice according to the pack instructions. Add to the casserole with a handful of chopped radishes, the cucumber, spring onions, sesame seeds, a squeeze of lemon juice and a few tbsp kimchi (see Know-how), making a space for each item. Serve in the casserole.
Kimchi is spiced fermented cabbage – unpasteurised has the best flavour. Check that it’s vegan if you need it to be.
Rate & review