Last-minute Christmas pudding
- January 2006
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 3 hours to steam
Making your own Christmas pudding doesn’t have to be stressful or time consuming. This quick recipe takes 15 minutes, plus steaming.
For more festive pud inspiration, try our Christmas pudding recipes collection.
- 5.8g (0.3g saturated)
- 76.5g (64.1g sugar)
- 1½ x 411g jars luxury mincemeat
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Icing sugar, a few fresh berries and a large fresh rosemary sprig (optional), to decorate
- To prepare: Empty the mincemeat into a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon, stir in the grated orange zest and brandy. Sift the self-raising flour and spice together and stir into the mincemeat mixture with the breadcrumbs. Stir in the beaten egg. Spoon into a greased 900ml pudding basin, cover with a circle of pleated greaseproof paper, then a circle of foil and tie around the rim of the basin with string to secure. Loop the string over and tie at the other side to make handles.
- To cook: Put the pudding basin on an upturned saucer in a large, deep pan, and pour in boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the pudding basin. Cover and steam for 3 hours, topping up the water level occasionally. Alternatively, cover loosely with greaseproof paper and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
- To serve: Turn out onto a serving plate, dust with icing sugar then decorate with fresh berries and a sprig of rosemary, if using.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas pudding recipes
From the classics to the inventive, we've got...
Christmas baking recipes
Warming spices, boozy sponges and plenty of sweet,...
There's nothing more festive than the aroma of...
Christmas gift recipes
Who doesn't love an edible homemade Christmas gift?...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...