Marinated mackerel with spiced aioli
- December 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus cooling and marinating
Chef Jason Atherton’s recipe for mackerel with spiced aioli is an ideal starter for a sophisticated dinner party.
- 44.9g (8.5g saturated)
- 7.1g (4.6g sugar)
- 6 mackerel fillets, with skin
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- Small bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus extra sprigs, to garnish
- 2 fresh bay leaves, plus extra sprigs, to garnish
- 2cm piece fresh horseradish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g caster sugar
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp white peppercorns
For the aioli
- Pinch of saffron
- 4 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 80g thick, creamy mashed potato (optional)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 150ml olive oil
- Remove any pin bones from the fish fillets with tweezers and put skin-side down and side-by-side in a deep dish. Scatter with the onion, dill, bay leaves and horseradish. Chill.
- Meanwhile, combine 125ml water with the sugar, wine vinegar and spices in a saucepan, and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Pour the cold marinade over the mackerel, cover the dish with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight, before serving.
- For the aïoli, put the saffron, garlic, egg yolks, potato (if using) and lemon juice into a blender or food processor. Blend until thick and smooth. With the motor running, slowly trickle in the oil until mixed. Season well.
- Drain the mackerel fillets and place on plates with some of the marinated onion rings, garnished with sprigs of bay leaves and dill. Serve with the aïoli, a green salad and some slices of toasted focaccia or warm baguette.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried mackerel fillets with pear and pomegranate slaw
Mackerel is a great oily fish, full of omega-3, to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter