Mediterranean vegetable and sardine salad
- May 2021
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min
This filling roasted Mediterranean vegetable and sardine salad comes with juicy tomatoes golden sourdough croutons for a lovely lunch option.
Add more healthy recipes to your lunchtime rota, with our warm salad recipe collection.
- 20.1g fat (3.6g saturated)
- 35.9g (11.1g sugars)
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 fat garlic cloves, bashed with the side of a cook’s knife and peeled
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices sourdough (or rustic) bread, cut into chunks
- Handful basil leaves
- 1 tin sustainable sardines (we used a 140g tin Ortiz)
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/gas 6. Put the aubergine, courgette, red onion and garlic in a roasting tin, then add the oregano, lemon zest and some black pepper. Drizzle over 1½ tbsp of the olive oil, then roast for 30 minutes. Remove the tin, toss everything together, then add the tomatoes and roast for 10 minutes more.
- On a separate oven tray, toss the sourdough with the rest of the oil, then bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Add the lemon juice and basil to the roasted veg, then divide between 2 bowls along with the croutons and sardines. Serve warm or at room temperature
Don’t waste it: You could replace the extra virgin oil with the oil from the sardines if you like the extra fishy flavour.
Know-how: Tinned sardines are a thrifty, handy way to boost your oily fish quota.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter