- June 2021
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Assemble a tasty mushroom burger in just 15 minutes. Top our quick mushroom burger with red pesto, rocket and vegan aioli. Delicious.
For more meat-free ideas, including dinners, bakes and comfort food, check out our 100+ vegan recipes.
- Vegan recipes
- 41.5g (6.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped soft herbs (we used parsley, basil and oregano – see Easy Swaps)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large or 2-3 small portobello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 ciabatta bun, halved
- 2 tbsp red pesto (make sure it’s vegan if you need it to be)
- 2 tbsp vegan garlic aioli (we like Leon’s version)
- Small handful rocket leaves
You’ll also need
- Griddle pan
- Heat a griddle pan (or the BBQ) over a medium-high heat. Whisk the oil, herbs and garlic in a small bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Brush the mushroom(s) with some herb oil and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly charred. Squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Brush the cut sides of the ciabatta with a little more herb oil, then griddle, cut-side down, for 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Spread the bun base with pesto, then top with the rocket, mushrooms and any remaining oil. Spread the burger lid with the aioli, sandwich together and eat – with a napkin for those drips of garlicky oil.
Easy swaps: Use any herb combo you fancy for the herb and garlic oil. Chives, tarragon, thyme, marjoram or rosemary all work well. Mushrooms not your thing? Griddle long slices of courgette and pepper or aubergine ‘steaks’ instead.
Rate & review