One-tray roast chicken with pesto stuffing and greens
- March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30-33 min
Weeknight dinner doesn’t come easier than a tray bake. Simply stuff chicken breasts with a creamy pesto mixture then pop in the oven surrounded by greens for a healthy midweek meal.
- 22.5g (7.3g saturated)
- 7.3g (6.1g sugars)
- 5 shallots, quartered
- 3 trimmed leeks, sliced diagonally 2cm thick
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 120g cream cheese
- 50g fresh green pesto (we like Sacla)
- 4 skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- 250ml dry white wine
- 100g kale, sliced
- Juice 1 lemon
To serve (optional)
- Steamed new potatoes
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the shallots and leeks in a medium roasting tray and drizzle with oil. Season, then roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and pesto with a little seasoning. Cut a slit along the side of each chicken breast, then spoon in the filling. Don’t worry if a bit comes out – it helps to make the sauce in the pan.
- Remove the roasting tray from the oven, then add the wine and chicken. Roast for 15 minutes or until the chicken is nearly cooked.
- Remove the tray from the oven and scatter the kale over and around the chicken. Add a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of oil, then return to the oven for 5-8 minutes until the kale is crisp and the chicken is cooked. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the pan juices drizzled over, with new potatoes, if you like.
It’s not your average tray bake: the roasting juices mingle with the pesto stuffing to make a great-tasting sauce.
Watch our one-pan roast chicken video…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
One-tray roast chicken with white wine, potatoes and asparagus
Step into spring with Donal Skehan’s roast chicken recipe made with asparagus, garlic, lemon and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...