One-tray roast chicken with pesto stuffing and greens
- March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30-33 min
Weeknight dinner doesn’t come easier than a tray bake. Simply stuff chicken breasts with a creamy pesto mixture then pop in the oven surrounded by greens for a healthy midweek meal.
- 22.5g (7.3g saturated)
- 7.3g (6.1g sugars)
- 5 shallots, quartered
- 3 trimmed leeks, sliced diagonally 2cm thick
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 120g cream cheese
- 50g fresh green pesto (we like Sacla)
- 4 skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- 250ml dry white wine
- 100g kale, sliced
- Juice 1 lemon
To serve (optional)
- Steamed new potatoes
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the shallots and leeks in a medium roasting tray and drizzle with oil. Season, then roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and pesto with a little seasoning. Cut a slit along the side of each chicken breast, then spoon in the filling. Don’t worry if a bit comes out – it helps to make the sauce in the pan.
- Remove the roasting tray from the oven, then add the wine and chicken. Roast for 15 minutes or until the chicken is nearly cooked.
- Remove the tray from the oven and scatter the kale over and around the chicken. Add a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of oil, then return to the oven for 5-8 minutes until the kale is crisp and the chicken is cooked. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the pan juices drizzled over, with new potatoes, if you like.
It’s not your average tray bake: the roasting juices mingle with the pesto stuffing to make a great-tasting sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spring herb risotto
Make the most of any spring herbs growing in the garden with this easy risotto...