Peppered mushroom steaks with buttered spinach
- January 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Chef Tristan Welch’s meat-free take on steak makes a fitting dish as part of a vegetarian feast. The field mushrooms give a meaty texture, working brilliantly with the rich, peppery sauce.
Take a look at our vegetarian versions of classic recipes for more meat-free inspiration.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29g (16.9g saturated)
- 3.5g (3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 6 large field mushrooms (about 120g each), wiped clean
- 75g butter
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp Henderson’s Relish
- 1½ tsp Marmite
- 180ml double cream
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- 300g spinach
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Crush the peppercorns using a pestle and mortar, then set half aside for the sauce. Put the mushrooms on a plate, then gently press the remaining crushed peppercorns onto both sides of the mushrooms and season with salt.
- Heat 35g of the butter and the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the mushrooms, dome-side down, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until well coloured. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the shallot to the mushroom pan, then cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until just softened. Turn the heat up to high, add the brandy, then carefully use the hob flame, a lighter or cook’s blowtorch to flambé the shallot. Let the flames die down, then bubble until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the Henderson’s Relish and Marmite until dissolved. Pour in the cream, scatter with a few of the reserved peppercorns, then heat to warm through. Add the parsley.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, melt the remaining butter, add the spinach and toss with a pinch of salt, a twist of pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until just tender.
- To serve, divide the spinach among 6 warmed plates and pour over some of the sauce. Cut the mushrooms into 1cm thick slices and arrange on the spinach. Scatter with the remaining pepper and drizzle over the remaining sauce.
If you have any of the creamy peppercorn sauce left over, stir it into mashed potato instead of butter or olive oil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower steaks with caper butter and parsley breadcrumbs
”This makes an excellent vegetarian main course option if you add a grain salad to...