Pot au feu
- September 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 hour 40 minutes
This tasty French-inspired chicken recipe is low in calories, fat and salt.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 3.3g (0.8g saturated)
- 27.2g (11.3g sugar)
- 1kg whole free-range chicken
- 6 large Chantenay carrots, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 6
- 2 celery sticks, each cut into 4 lengths
- 100g pearl barley
- 20g fresh flatleaf parsley, stalks and leaves separated and chopped
- 20 black peppercorns
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 litre good-quality vegetable stock
- ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- Place the chicken in a large, snug-fitting saucepan. Add the carrots, onions, celery, pearl barley, parsley stalks, peppercorns, bay leaves and thyme. Pour over the stock, along with 1 litre cold water.
- Slowly bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, then uncover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Place a wooden spoon in the chicken’s cavity and carefully lift it out. Remove as many peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and parsley stalks as you can from the stock.
- Using a ladle, skim off any scum or fat from the surface. Use a fork to remove the flesh of the chicken from the carcass. Discard the skin and add the meat to the stock, with the parsley leaves and shredded cabbage.
- Bring the stock back to the boil, taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve with crusty bread or boiled potatoes.
Rate & review