Puy lentils with roasted vegetables and griddled halloumi
- October 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
This Mediterranean inspired vegetarian recipe is great for using up leftover vegetables in the fridge. The haloumi cheese lends the dish an interesting texture.
- 28.5g (10.7g saturated)
- 35g (11.5g sugar)
- 1 each red, yellow and orange peppers, sliced
- 100g baby courgettes, halved lengthways
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 x 250g packs Merchant Gourmet Microwaveable Puy Lentils (from Waitrose)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of lemon juice
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 200g haloumi, thickly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6. Mix the peppers, courgettes, onion and garlic in a roasting tin with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the thyme, salt and pepper, and toss well. Roast for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the balsamic vinegar and roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils according to the packet instructions, then mix in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, the lemon zest and juice, most of the parsley and the tomatoes. Season well and set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot, brush the haloumi slices with the remaining tbsp of oil, season well and cook for 1-2 minutes each side.
- Divide the lentils among 4 plates, then top with the vegetables and haloumi. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, scatter with the rest of the chopped parsley, and serve.
If you can’t buy the microwavable lentils, use 250g dried puy lentils and cook according to packet instructions.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Warm pesto, chickpea and butter bean salad with halloumi
A quick 15-minute dinner has never looked so good. This...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter