Roast pumpkin with toasted hazelnuts, blue cheese and thyme
- October 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30-40 min
This roast pumpkin recipe with toasted hazelnuts, blue cheese, fresh thyme and red chilli, makes a great starter.
- 34.1g fat (13.3g saturated)
- 16g protein
- 6.3g carbs (4.7g sugars)
- 4.8g fibre
- 1g salt
- 1.5kg pumpkin or squash, deseeded, cut into wedges
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g hazelnuts
- 300g gorgonzola dolce (vegetarians can use cashel blue or similar)
- Zest 1 lemon
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked or sprigs torn
- 1-2 red chillies, finely shredded
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush the pumpkin/squash wedges with the oil, season well and lay out on baking trays – don’t crowd them or they won’t crisp up. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once, until crisp and charred in places.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with a drizzle of the oil, then lightly toast the h40azelnuts over a medium heat. Put on kitchen paper to cool slightly, then roughly chop (see Make Ahead).
- Divide the pumpkin/squash among plates, crumble over the cheese, then top with the chopped hazelnuts, lemon zest, thyme and red chilli. Drizzle with oil to serve.
Unless your pumpkin has a really tough, craggy skin, you don’t need to peel it.
Toast the hazelnuts up to 24 hours in advance, cool and keep in a sealed container. You can roast the pumpkin ahead too – cool and keep, covered, in the fridge overnight, then reheat at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 to serve.
You can vary the cheese you use – roquefort, goat’s cheese or ricotta will all work well. Vegetarians can use cashel blue or similar instead (see cashelblue.com for stockists).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
October seasonal recipes
Diana Henry’s Mexican chicken and pumpkin with pepita pesto
Diana Henry’s Mexican chicken recipe is marinated with fresh thyme, oregano, cumin and allspice before...