Roast tomato and black olive pasta sauce
- December 2009
- Serves lots of people
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour 5-10 minutes to cook
Packaged up with our tomato and chilli pesto and some hand-tied pasta in a pretty bowl, this tomato sauce recipe is an ideal Christmas gift for the food lover in your life.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 65 kcals
- 5.5g fat (0.8g saturated)
- 0.8g protein
- 3.3g (2.9g sugar)
- 2.5kg ripe vine tomatoes, halved
- 125ml olive oil, plus 4 tbsp
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- Half a head of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, halved and deseeded
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 130g good black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the tomatoes in a big roasting tin and drizzle with 4 tbsp olive oil. Season and roast for 30-40 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, gently heat 125ml olive oil in a big frying pan. Add the shallots, garlic and chilli and fry over a very low heat for 10 minutes until soft. Set aside for 10 minutes. Sieve into a jug and discard the solids.
- Pour the oil into a large pan and set over a medium heat. Crush the tomatoes with a fork and add to the pan. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the vinegar, sugar, olives and capers. Simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and rich. Check the seasoning and remove from the heat. Transfer to a sterilised jar or jars (see tip).
The shallots, garlic and chilli are discarded after infusion as their flavours overly intensify when
the sauce is stored.
To sterilise jars (plus the lids, if you’re using them), otherwise this recipe will go mouldy, wash jars thoroughly in warm, clean, soapy water, rinse and drain upside down on kitchen towel. Place on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1 for 15-20 minutes. This keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks after making. Once opened, use within 2 days.
Rate & review