Roasted red peppers with basil
- August 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 5 min, oven time 45 min
A simple vegetarian starter recipe; red peppers are slow-cooked – with tomatoes, thyme and capers – until soft and sweet then served with fresh basil. One for the glorious summer months.
Check out our summer snack ideas for those warm evenings when you feel like grazing rather than lingering over the stove.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.8g (0.9g saturated)
- 5.7g (5.2g sugars)
- 3 large red peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/ gas 7 and line a roasting tin with non-stick baking paper. Cut each pepper in half lengthways through the stalk, then scoop out and discard the seeds and membrane. Put the peppers cut-side up in the prepared baking tray and divide the garlic, tomatoes, thyme leaves and capers between them. Drizzle with oil, then season with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to each pepper and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until caramelised and tender. Or serve while still warm, scattered with fresh basil.
Roast the peppers up to a day ahead and keep with their juices in an airtight container in the fridge. Scatter with the basil leaves to serve.
A white with crisp acidity, such as a sauvignon blanc or dry riesling, works well with the peppers.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian bake recipes
Roasted red pepper, spinach and goat’s cheese pasta bake
This vegetarian pasta bake uses grilled red peppers for their naturally intense sweetness. Combined with...
Fried eggs on toast with grilled peppers and aioli
Spice up your brunch game and top toasts with fried eggs, sweet peppers, creamy aioli...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...