Runner bean pasta salad
- July 2023
- Serves 4-6 as a lunch or side
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus standing
The perfect summer barbecue side, this zingy pasta salad contrasts the freshness of runner beans and soft creaminess of butter beans. A sprinkling of fresh dill and pul biber chilli flakes adds an aromatic finish.
- 5.1g (0.7g saturated)
- 28g (2.4g sugars)
- 300g orecchiette or conchiglie pasta
- 225g runner beans
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp honey or agave syrup
- ½ tsp pul biber or chilli flakes, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 325g jar or can of queen butter beans or 400g can, drained
- 15g fresh dill, fronds picked
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the runner beans into 0.5cm slices, then add to the pasta pan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the pasta is al dente, still with some bite, and the beans are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Lightly crush the fennel seeds, then toast in a dry frying pan for a minute or so until fragrant. Tip into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, honey/agave and chilli, then whisk together into a dressing. Season with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Add the shallot, butter beans and most of the dill to the dressing along with the drained, cooled pasta and runner beans. Toss together until everything is combined and coated with the dressing. At this point you can leave the pasta salad to sit for all the flavours to get to know each other at room temperature for up to 30 minutes, or keep in the fridge for lunches over the next few days.
- When ready to serve, divide among plates or tip into a large serving bowl. Season again, drizzle over a little more oil and scatter over some more pul biber.
This is also great with some shaved parmesan on top if you are so inclined!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter