Steamed asparagus and egg mimosa salad
- May 2018
- Serves 4-6 as a starter
- Hands-on time 30 min
Seasonal asparagus, crisp parma ham and soft eggs come together in this simple but elegant starter.
Or, try pairing the asparagus with pasta, mint pesto and poached egg for a hearty lunch.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 18.9g (4.2g saturated)
- 9.7g (9.1g sugars)
- 6 slices parma ham
- 2 large free-range eggs
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 600g asparagus, trimmed
For the dressing
- ½ red onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp single cream
- Heat the grill to high and lay out the parma ham on a baking tray. Grill for 3 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil over a medium heat. Cook the eggs for 8 minutes (10 minutes if the eggs are chilled). Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel and finely chop the eggs and put in a bowl. Add the parsley and spring onions to the eggs and gently combine.
- Meanwhile, bring a separate pan of water to the boil over a medium heat and blanch the asparagus for 3-4 minutes until just tender but still with some bite. Drain and cool under cold running water, then set aside.
- For the dressing, mix the onion, vinegar, sugar, capers and mustard together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil and season to taste. Stir in the cream, if using.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter, scatter over the egg mixture and crumble over the crisp parma ham. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
The cream adds richness to the dressing but it isn’t essential.
Cook the asparagus and boil the eggs up to 24 hours in advance. Keep in separate sealed containers in the fridge.
Mimosa salad is so called because the yellow egg yolks are reminiscent of mimosa flowers scattered over snow – a sign of spring in Russia.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asparagus and pancetta soldiers with soft-boiled eggs
Swap toast soldiers for pancetta-wrapped asparagus in this easy low-carb breakfast recipe, that’s ready in...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...