Stir-fried red cabbage with pear and five spice
- November 2021
- Serves 4-6 as a side
- Hands-on time 15 min
Stir-fried red cabbage with pear and five-spice is a quick and versatile side dish. Serve it as a midweek side or even with Christmas turkey.
Prefer your red cabbage braised and tender rather than crisp and crunchy? Try our braised red cabbage with apple and mustard vinaigrette.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 4.2g (0.3g saturated)
- 16.1g (15g sugars)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 2 firm pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp chinese five-spice
- Juice 1 orange, plus 1 tsp finely grated zest
- Sesame seeds, toasted in a dry pan, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion and ginger and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the onion has softened and the ginger is taking on a little colour. Add the red cabbage and a pinch of salt, then continue to cook, tossing the cabbage regularly, for about 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Turn the heat to medium, then add the rest of the ingredients except the sesame seeds. Continue to cook, stir-frying, until the red cabbage is tender and glossy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Taste and season with a pinch more salt and/or vinegar if you like, then sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
Stir-frying the cabbage keeps it firmer and crisper than braising. If you like your cabbage very soft, at the end of step 2, put a lid on the wok and turn the heat to low, then cook for another 10-15 minutes until soft.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ginger, chilli and lime steamed cod with stir-fried red cabbage and coriander rice
This Asian-inspired cod recipe is perfect for a quick and easy midweek dinner. The best...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...