Sweet and sour kale
- December 2013
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 20-30 minutes to cook
This gorgeous festive side dish with sticky sweet-and-sour kale is definitely one for the Christmas table. It’s a great Boxing Day recipe for leftover kale, too.
Add yet more colour to your Christmas Day side dish selection with these sherry-glazed carrots.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.1g (1.6g saturated)
- 3.4g protein
- 3.4g (2.9g sugars)
- 2.3g fibre
- 0.4g salt
For 10 servings
- 500g curly kale or cavolo nero, large stalks removed and leaves shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good knob of unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 100g unsmoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Wash the kale or cavolo nero thoroughly and, while still wet, put in a hot pan over a medium heat. Cover with a lid and steam for 5 minutes until just tender. Refresh under cold water, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the bacon and fry for a further 5-10 minutes until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onion is tender.
- Add the kale, red wine vinegar and maple syrup, then cook for 5-10 minutes until the kale is tender and sticky. Season generously to serve.
Steam the kale or cavolo nero as in step 1 the day before, then cover and chill overnight. Cook the onion and bacon as in step 2 and chill overnight. Combine the two and continue with step 3 on before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Carrots and parsnips with maple and orange glaze
Sweet glazed carrots and parsnips are a notable accompaniment to a Christmas lunch. These vegetables...
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Whether you call it Christmas dinner or lunch...
Alternative Christmas roast recipes
Not a fan of turkey or just fancy...
Christmas leftover recipes
Be wise to wastage and turn your leftover...