Sweet and sour kale
- December 2013
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 20-30 minutes to cook
This gorgeous festive side dish with sticky sweet-and-sour kale is definitely one for the Christmas table. It’s a great Boxing Day recipe for leftover kale, too.
Add yet more colour to your Christmas Day side dish selection with these sherry-glazed carrots.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.1g (1.6g saturated)
- 3.4g protein
- 3.4g (2.9g sugars)
- 2.3g fibre
- 0.4g salt
For 10 servings
- 500g curly kale or cavolo nero, large stalks removed and leaves shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good knob of unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 100g unsmoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Wash the kale or cavolo nero thoroughly and, while still wet, put in a hot pan over a medium heat. Cover with a lid and steam for 5 minutes until just tender. Refresh under cold water, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the bacon and fry for a further 5-10 minutes until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onion is tender.
- Add the kale, red wine vinegar and maple syrup, then cook for 5-10 minutes until the kale is tender and sticky. Season generously to serve.
Steam the kale or cavolo nero as in step 1 the day before, then cover and chill overnight. Cook the onion and bacon as in step 2 and chill overnight. Combine the two and continue with step 3 on before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Whether you call it Christmas dinner or lunch...
Alternative Christmas roast recipes
Not a fan of turkey or just fancy...
Christmas leftover recipes
Be wise to wastage and turn your leftover...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...