Tamarind aubergine curry (imli baigan curry)
- August 2021
- Serves 4 as part of sharing menu or 2 as a main dish with rice
- Hands-on time 20 min
Chetna Makan’s imli baigan is a quick aubergine curry recipe with bags of flavour: fried onions and aubergine, fennel and a tamarind tang.
Recipe taken from Chetna’s 30-Minute Indian (£20, Mitchell Beazley), out now.
- Vegan recipes
- 9.6g (1.2g saturated)
- 9.9g (8.2g sugars)
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 5-7.5cm long strips
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- Pinch asafoetida
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
You’ll also need
- Pestle and mortar
- To prepare the aubergine, put it on a plate, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the asafoetida and sizzle for a few seconds. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Pat the aubergine fingers dry, add them to the hot oil and cook over a high heat for 2 minutes until golden.
- While the aubergine is cooking, heat a small frying pan, add the fennel seeds and toast for 1 minute, then use a pestle and mortar to crush them.
- Add the crushed fennel seeds to the onion pan and cook for a minute, then stir in the ground spices. Add the fried aubergine with 200ml water and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and tamarind and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens, then serve.
Prepare the curry up to 1 day ahead. Store covered in the fridge and reheat gently over a low heat until piping hot to serve
Asafoetida is a powder made from the resin of a giant fennel plant, it has a pungent aroma that mellows when cooked to provide depth to curries, chutneys and pickles. It’s a common substitute for garlic and onion in Ayurvedic cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...