Tomato, sausage and emmental croissants
- May 2004
- Serves 4
- Ready in 25 minutes
Croissants don’t have to be sweet! Try our savoury spicy sausage recipe; a real treat for breakfast or brunch.
Prefer the sweeter things in life? Find out how to make croissants, from scratch, in this step-by-step guide.
- 53.1g (24.6g saturated)
- 42g (3.8g sugar)
- 4 thick, plump sausages of your choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 baby plum or cherry tomatoes
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 fresh all-butter croissants
- 100g Emmental cheese, coarsely grated
- Fresh flatleaf parsley, torn, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Split the skin on the sausages and squeeze out the meat. Discard the skins. Heat the oil in a frying pan and crumble in the sausage meat. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and slightly crisp in places. Cut the tomatoes in half and add to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are wilted. Add the chilli flakes and stir over the heat for 1 minute. Add the crème fraîche and cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Make a split down the centre of each croissant. Stir 75g of the Emmental into the sausage mixture, then divide between the croissants. Put on a baking tray and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 5 minutes until they are hot and the cheese has melted. Garnish with torn parsley. Serve hot or warm.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This easy to assemble recipe gives children a chance to get involved with preparing breakfast....