Ultimate tomato sauce
- September 2009
- 5kg ripe vine tomatoes, halved
- 250ml olive oil, plus 8 tbsp for drizzling
- 6 shallots, finely sliced
- Head of garlic, cloves separated and finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, halved and deseeded
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the tomatoes in 2 or 3 large roasting tins and drizzle with 8 tbsp of olive oil. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes until really softened.
- Meanwhile, gently heat 250ml olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots, garlic and chillies and fry over a very low heat for 10 minutes until softened. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to infuse for 10 minutes. Sieve the oil into a jug and discard the solids.
- Pour the infused oil into a large saucepan and set over a medium heat. Crush the tomatoes with the back of a fork and add to the oil. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the vinegar and caster sugar and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have a thick, rich sauce. Check the seasoning and remove from the heat.
- Divide the Ultimate tomato sauce into 3 equal portions and once cooled, use to make the following 3 dishes for the freezer. Alternatively, freeze the tomato sauce in 3 portions to make the following 3 dishes at a later date.
You can use this ultimate tomato sauce to make the following recipes:
The garlic, onion and chillies are left to infuse in the oil, then discarded. If the solids are left in the sauce when frozen, the flavours intensify, resulting in an overly strong flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Oven-dried tomatoes are easier to make than you think, and they’re the perfect addition to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...