Parsnip and porcini gravy
- December 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min
Searching for a vegan gravy? We’ve got just the recipe. Chef Maria Elia’s parsnip and porcini vegan gravy works perfectly with a vegan wellington, but would work well with any savoury dish – meaty, veggie or vegan – that needs a gravy.
Looking for a more traditional gravy? Take a look through our gravy recipe collection.
- Vegan recipes
- 5.8g (0.8g saturated)
- 5.4g (1.8g sugars)
- trace salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sliced shallot
- Handful of parsnip trimmings
- 1 finely sliced parsnip
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml vegan red wine
- reserved porcini soaking liquid made up to 400ml with hot water
- 1 tbsp truffle oil or 1 tsp cranberry sauce (for a sweeter flavour)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan, then add 1 sliced shallot and a handful of parsnip trimmings or 1 finely sliced parsnip.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 10-15 minutes until dark gold and caramelised. Add 1 tbsp plain flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add 100ml vegan red wine a little at a time, followed by the reserved porcini soaking liquid made up to 400ml with hot water, stirring continuously until the gravy thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, then pass through a sieve and serve. For an extra flourish, add 1 tbsp truffle oil or 1 tsp cranberry sauce (for a sweeter flavour) just before serving, if you like.
This was created for Maria’s vegan wellington but would work well with any savoury dish – meaty, veggie or vegan – that needs a gravy.
Keep the gravy covered and chilled for up to 2 days. Reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review