Vegetable stew with herb dumplings
- March 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 1 hour
Full of nutritious vegetables and flavour, this vegetarian stew recipe has the added treat of tasty dumplings.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31.5g (16g saturated)
- 78.8g (9.9g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, thickly sliced and washed
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml vegetable stock or water, hot
- 410g can mixed pulses, drained and rinsed
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- For the herb dumplings
- 225g self-raising flour
- 110g vegetable suet
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the leek, carrots and celery and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the stock or water. Add the drained pulses and thyme, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Mix together the flour, suet and thyme, and season to taste. Add about 125ml cold water to form a soft, slightly sticky dough – add a touch more water if it seems a little dry.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the dough into the simmering stew, pushing them in so they’re just poking out – you should end up with 12 dumplings. Cover again and simmer for a further 20 minutes, until the dumplings are risen and no longer sticky. Serve with seasonal greens.
For a meaty version of this stew, use only 2 carrots. Cut 2 skinless chicken breasts into pieces and pan-fry for 2 minutes before adding the onion.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pork and root vegetable casserole with fennel and mustard dumplings
Pork is slow-cooked until succulent with cider, apples and root vegetables to make a rich,...
Stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts
Creamy pork and sherry casserole with parmesan dumplings
This pork and sherry casserole can be made in either an oven or a slow-cooker,...