Roast grape, balsamic and radicchio spelt pizzas
- October 2017
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 12-14 min, plus rising
Making your own pizza from scratch takes a little bit longer, but is more than worth it. This recipe uses wholemeal spelt flour for a filling and nutritious base. Topped with a mix of ricotta and mozzarella, it’s hard to stop at one.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.1g (8.4g saturated)
- 69.5g (9.2g sugars)
- 200g wholemeal spelt flour
- 200g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g fine semolina
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 350g warm water
- Extra-virgin olive oil for oiling, plus extra to drizzle
For the topping
- 500g ricotta
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g firm mozzarella, grated
- Large bunch small red grapes, picked, halved if large
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 radicchio, sliced
You’ll also need…
- 2-3 large baking sheets, generously dusted with semolina
- In a large bowl, mix the flours and semolina. Stir in the yeast, salt and sugar. Add the water and mix with your hands briefly to form a sticky dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, knead the dough for 10 minutes until it’s smooth and pliable and springs back. (If it’s sticky, dust the surface with a little more flour.) Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas 9. Mix the ricotta, garlic and mozzarella and season to taste. In another bowl, mix the grapes with the balsamic glaze. Tip out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, then knock it back (knead once or twice to squeeze out the air). Divide into 6 and shape into balls.
- Stretch and shape the dough into discs 0.5cm thick and 18-20cm wide (cover the dough and the bases with cling film while you work to prevent the dough drying out). Put the bases onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Spread each base with 2 tbsp of the ricotta mix. Top with the grapes, sliced radicchio and a drizzle of balsamic glaze and extra-virgin olive oil. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the bases are crisp and the grapes are caramelised and soft. Eat straightaway.
Rate & review