Warmed asparagus and lettuce
- May 2022
- Serves 4 as a light starter or side dish
- Hands-on time 20 min
Simmer lettuce and asparagus in mushroom stock for a deeply savoury and satisfying vegan starter or side dish. Serve with crusty bread. Recipe from Your Daily Veg: Modern, Fuss-free Vegetarian Food by Joe Woodhouse (Kyle Books £22).
Make the most of the spears’ short season with more delicious asparagus recipes.
- 6.7g (5.7g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, cut into eighths and separated into petals
- 500g asparagus, woody ends snapped off, sliced 1cm thick diagonally
- 1 mushroom stock cube, dissolved in 200ml hot water (or mushroom soaking water from 10g dried mushrooms – or vegetable stock)
- 4 little gem lettuces, quartered lengthways
- 5g mint (about ¼ supermarket bunch), leaves picked, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until they soften. They should still hold their integrity in the final dish, so don’t cook them until collapsing.
- Add the sliced asparagus to the pan and toss well to combine. Keep stirring for 1 minute, then add the stock. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Once the asparagus is tender, remove from the heat and add the lettuce, turning to coat with the cooking liquid and wilt the leaves. Season to taste. Finally, stir in the mint and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter