Sausage, cider and apple filo rolls
- June 2016
- Makes 24
- Hands-on time 50 min, oven time 30 min
Sausage rolls but not as you know them – the meat is flavoured with cider, apples and sage then wrapped in crunchy layers of filo pastry, ready for dunking in mustard mayo.
For a traditional recipe, try these so-easy-the-kids-can-make-them sausage rolls.
- 22.3g (8.9g saturated)
- 15.9g (6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 100ml dry cider
- 800g British free-range sausagemeat (or use the meat from about 12 sausages)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10g fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 large bramley apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 9 filo pastry sheets (we used Jus-rol)
- 40g butter, melted
- 10g poppy seeds
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8 minutes until soft. Add the cider, turn up the heat and bubble for 1-2 minutes to evaporate the liquid. Transfer the onion mixture to a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients (apart from the filo, butter and poppy seeds) to the onion mixture with some salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Working quickly, lay out a sheet of filo pastry on a clean work surface and lightly brush with melted butter. Put another pastry sheet on top and brush it with more butter, then put a final sheet on top. Repeat twice more to give 3 separate sets of 3 layers of filo pastry. Using a sharp knife, cut the piles of pastry in half lengthways, then cut each half into 4 even pieces to give 24 x 3-ply rectangles.
- Divide the sausage mixture into 24 equal sausage-shaped pieces, then place 1 lengthways in the middle of each filo rectangle, shaping the sausage to reach the ends. Brush the exposed pastry at each side with a little butter, then fold the filo over the meat to enclose completely.
- Lay the rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper, lightly brush with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut 3 slits into the top of each roll, then bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the meat is cooked through.
- Serve the sausage rolls warm or at room temperature.
Make the sausage rolls up to 24 hours in advance without baking. Keep covered in the fridge, then bake from frozen for 35-40 minutes.
Rate & review