Ham and Boursin quiche with quail eggs
- August 2018
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 45-55 min, plus chilling
Debbie Major puts a clever twist on quiche Lorraine with this recipe using Boursin, quail eggs and chives. Serve with a simple green salad for an elegant lunch.
- 47.9g (26.6g saturated)
- 21.6g (2.3g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 150g pack Garlic & Herbs Boursin cheese
- 3 large free-range hen’s eggs
- 300ml crème fraîche
- 20g chives, chopped
- 100g air-dried ham, such as French bayonne or Italian parma
- 12 fresh (uncooked) quail eggs
- 25g comté cheese, coarsely grated
You’ll also need…
- 1 quantity shortcrust pastry
- 23cm x 4cm deep fluted tart tin or flan tin, lightly greased with butter
- Make the pastry, line the tart or flan tin and bake the pastry case exactly as in the master recipe.
- While the pastry case is baking, make the filling. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the spring onions and cook gently for 2 minutes until just softened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Crumble the Boursin cheese into a mixing bowl, crack in one of the hen’s eggs and mash together with the cheese until smooth. Add the remaining hen’s eggs and the crème fraîche, then beat with a fork until smooth. Stir in the spring onions and three quarters of the chopped chives.
- Shred the air-dried ham into small pieces, scatter them over the base of the pastry case, then pour over the egg mixture. Crack the quail eggs over the top of the quiche, then scatter over the 25g grated cheese and the rest of the chives. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly set and golden. Leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before removing the quiche from the tin. Cut into wedges to serve.
Bake the pastry case up to 2 days ahead and keep in an airtight container.
The finished quiche will keep for a day or two, well wrapped in the fridge. Bring back to room temperature or warm through in a medium oven before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheddar quiche with smoked bacon, onion and roasted red pepper
Make and freeze this indulgent cheddar and bacon quiche ahead of time, then cook from...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...