Cheese and onion stuffed squash
- October 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30 min
A mix of gooey cheese, crispy croutons and sweet onions are used to stuff soft butternut squash halves in this hearty vegetarian main.
We’ve got lots more ideas for squashes and pumpkins in our squash recipes collection.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.4g (9.3g saturated)
- 37g (19.2g sugars)
- 1 large butternut squash (about 1kg)
- 20g butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g shredded kale
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 1½ tsp nigella seeds
- 1 slice rustic bread, cut into chunks
- Oil for drizzling
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Cut the squash in half lengthways and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds (discard). Put on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on full power for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook for 10-12 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute, then slowly add the milk, whisking to make a smooth sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes until starting to thicken.
- Put the kale in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Shake to drain, then stir into the sauce with 75g of the grated cheese and 1 tsp nigella seeds.
- Test to check the squash flesh is soft. If not, microwave for 5 minutes more. Scoop out most of the flesh into a bowl, leaving enough so the shells keep their shape. Mash the flesh with a fork, add to the sauce and season well. Line a baking sheet with foil and put the squash shells on it.
- Spoon the cheesy kale mixture into the scooped-out butternut squash halves. Toss the cubes of bread in a drizzle of oil and scatter over the top. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and nigella seeds and bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with extra steamed kale and cooked grains, if you like.
Stuff the squash up to a day ahead and keep chilled. Bake for 35 minutes to serve.
Rate & review