Manchego and soured cream crusted pumpkin
- November 2016
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 50-55 min
This vegetarian recipe of pumpkin, manchego and sour cream is a stand out side dish – perfect for a dinner party or Christmas.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.6g (9g saturated)
- 10g (4.6g sugars)
- 1 large (1.5kg) pumpkin or squash, peeled and sliced into wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Small bunch fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp dried oregano)
- 100ml soured cream
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 60g manchego, grated (Tesco sells a vegetarian version; or use a cheese such as berkswell)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pumpkin wedges into a large roasting tin, drizzle with oil, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the oregano, soured cream, cream cheese, garlic, lemon zest, egg yolks, chilli and breadcrumbs. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in half of both cheeses.
- Remove the squash from the oven, push all the pieces quite close together in the centre, then dollop over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you want to serve this as part of a buffet, it’s also great at room temperature. Or cook with the topping on for 15 minutes, cool, then chill for 24 hours, still on the tray. Reheat for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Rate & review