Manchego-crusted pumpkin wedges
- November 2016
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 50-55 min
These vegetarian pumpkin wedges have a decadent manchego crust. They’re perfect as a dinner party side dish or as part of a Christmas buffet.
Or, serve this elegant pumpkin dish with toasted hazelnuts and blue cheese as your Christmas starter.
- 14.6g (9g saturated)
- 10g (4.6g sugars)
- 1 large (1.5kg) pumpkin or squash, peeled and sliced into wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Small bunch fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp dried oregano)
- 100ml soured cream
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 60g manchego, grated (Tesco sells a vegetarian version; or use a cheese such as berkswell)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pumpkin wedges into a large roasting tin, drizzle with oil, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the oregano, soured cream, cream cheese, garlic, lemon zest, egg yolks, chilli and breadcrumbs. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in half of both cheeses.
- Remove the squash from the oven, push all the pieces quite close together in the centre, then dollop over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you want to serve this as part of a buffet, it’s also great at room temperature. Or cook with the topping on for 15 minutes, cool, then chill for 24 hours, still on the tray. Reheat for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite warm salad recipes
Warm roast vegetable salad with hazelnuts and rose harissa
This warm roast vegetable salad recipe is a delight for...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter