Manchego-crusted pumpkin wedges
- November 2016
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 50-55 min
These vegetarian pumpkin wedges have a decadent manchego crust. They’re perfect as a dinner party side dish or as part of a Christmas buffet.
Or, serve this elegant pumpkin dish with toasted hazelnuts and blue cheese as your Christmas starter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.6g (9g saturated)
- 10g (4.6g sugars)
- 1 large (1.5kg) pumpkin or squash, peeled and sliced into wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Small bunch fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp dried oregano)
- 100ml soured cream
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 60g manchego, grated (Tesco sells a vegetarian version; or use a cheese such as berkswell)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pumpkin wedges into a large roasting tin, drizzle with oil, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the oregano, soured cream, cream cheese, garlic, lemon zest, egg yolks, chilli and breadcrumbs. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in half of both cheeses.
- Remove the squash from the oven, push all the pieces quite close together in the centre, then dollop over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you want to serve this as part of a buffet, it’s also great at room temperature. Or cook with the topping on for 15 minutes, cool, then chill for 24 hours, still on the tray. Reheat for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Peter Gordon’s pumpkin, ginger, chickpea and cheese soup
This chunky pumpkin soup recipe by Peter Gordon could almost be a meal in itself –...
More food for thought...
Use small culinary pumpkins, not the carving Halloween...
Christmas buffet recipes
If the kind of meal you are after...
Vegetarian dinner party recipes
Find show-off vegetarian dinner party dishes to blow...
Vegetarian Christmas recipes
Enjoy one of our vegetarian Christmas recipes, including...