Chicken, pancetta and bean stew with sage
- May 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, 45 min to cook
A rustic Italian stew recipe that, with the first mouthful, will transport you to an Umbrian cucina.
- 26.3g (8.1g saturated)
- 18.5g (2.5g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 140g pancetta cubes
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 6-8 chicken thighs on the bone, with skin
- 1 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 200ml white wine
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- 400g tin haricot beans, drained, rinsed
- Small handful fresh sage leaves
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large casserole. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Add the onion to the casserole and cook until soft. Add to the bowl with the pancetta.
- Dust the chicken thighs in the flour. Add another 1 tbsp oil to the casserole, increase the heat and fry the chicken until golden all over.
- Return the onion and pancetta to the casserole along with the wine and bubble until reduced by two-thirds. Pour in the hot stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beans and simmer, uncovered, for another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the sage leaves until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. Stir the cream into the stew. Season. Serve, garnished with the crispy sage.
You can save money by buying a whole chicken instead of thighs and jointing it into 8 pieces.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Garlic and herb buttered chicken with braised lettuce
This spring buttered chicken recipe can be prepped in advance, saving you time in the...