Chicken-skin butter with radishes
- July 2019
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 35 min
Georgina Hayden’s simple starter recipe is perfect to serve to guests and allow them to dig in. We can guarantee they’ll be going back for more… and more.
Georgina says: “This butter jazzed up with crunchy chicken skin is my game-changer recipe and takes regular bread and butter up a serious notch.”
- 29.5g (17.2g saturated)
- 1.4g (1.3g sugars)
- Skin from 4 large free-range chicken breasts (see tip)
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 250g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- Mixed radishes and sourdough bread to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the chicken skin in a roasting tray and sprinkle with the thyme sprigs (see tip). Drizzle with a little olive oil, season well with salt and black pepper, then roast for 30 minutes until golden and crisp (check after 20 minutes).
- Drizzle with the maple syrup, toss together and return to the oven for 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven, pour the fat from the tray inUse up the chicken breasts in another recipe or wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months. to a bowl and set both aside to cool.
- Once the chicken skin has cooled, finely chop, leaving a few crispy shards to garnish. Beat the butter in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, for 5 minutes until pale and light. Add 1 heaped tbsp of the cooled chicken fat, then whisk again for 2 more minutes.
- Add the finely chopped skin to the butter, then whisk again until fully incorporated, taste and check the seasoning. Serve the chicken-skin butter at room temperature with crisp radishes, slices of sourdough and the reserved shards of chicken skin (see Make Ahead).
Use up the chicken breasts in another recipe or wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months.
Put the radishes in an ice bath first for extra crunch. To make this dish look beautiful, we served it on a platter strewn with radishes, leaving their leaves intact where possible. The combination of bright red and green has real impact.
The butter will keep for up to 3 days chilled in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Pickled radishes with pea and broad bean houmous and knackebrod
Next time you’re expecting guests, pickle some radishes and serve...
Recipes to celebrate spring
Sharing pan fondue with garlic toasts, roasted radishes and asparagus
Take this pan of hot, melted cheese to the table...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter