Chilled honey and sultana risotto
- May 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 40 min to make, plus 2 hours’ cooling
Risotto rice makes a gorgeous creamy rice pudding in half the time of a conventional baked version.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 25.3g (13.7g saturated)
- 42.1g (23.5g sugar)
- 750ml milk
- 75g small sultanas
- 5 tbsp honey
- 50g unsalted butter
- 125g risotto rice
- 100ml extra-thick double cream
- 50g shelled and skinned pistachios, roughly smashed
- Place the milk, sultanas and honey in a small pan and set aside for 15 minutes until the sultanas plump up. Heat for 2 minutes to warm through.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan and stir in the rice. Cook for 1 minute, then add half of the warm milk (use a spoon to stop the sultanas escaping), and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the remaining warm milk and the sultanas. Stir and cook for a further 8-10 minutes, until the rice is tender. Not all of the milk will have been absorbed into the rice at this stage, but it will during cooling.
- Cover the rice (see the food team’s tip) and leave in a cool place for 2 hours. Divide the risotto between bowls and top with a spoonful of cream and a sprinkling of pistachios to serve.
Lay a circle of baking paper on the surface of the risotto while it cools to prevent a skin forming.
Rate & review