Cornbread with Mexican-style salad
- August 2019
- Serves 6 as a side
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 20 min
This rich and cheesy cornbread is served with a bright corn and tomato salad to cut through it all. Serve as a snack or nibble to please the masses. It’s great enjoyed alongside one of our chilli recipes, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.4g (12.3g saturated)
- 37.9g (7g sugars)
- Melted butter
- 120g fine cornmeal
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 275g natural yogurt
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 90g melted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 75g crumbled lancashire cheese
- 2 corn cobs
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Large handful of watercress
- 250g halved cherry tomatoes
- 25g crumbled lancashire
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Brush the inside of a 23cm ovenproof frying pan with a little melted butter. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, self-raising flour, caster sugar and salt. Mix the natural yogurt, egg, melted butter and 50g crumbled lancashire cheese in a measuring jug. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine.
- Run a sharp knife down the side of the corn cobs to remove the kernels (discard the cobs). Add three quarters of the kernels to the batter, then pour into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the remaining corn on
a baking tray with ½ tsp olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
- Toss together a large handful of watercress, the halved cherry tomatoes, 25g crumbled lancashire and the roast corn kernels. Scatter over the cornbread to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...