Fideuà (Spanish seafood noodle paella)
- August 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, plus resting
This much-loved Valencian seafood noodle paella, called fideuà, is the ideal one-pan supper, with everyone diving into the finished creation to nab the choicest morsels.
Prefer a meatier paella? Take a look at our chicken paella with squid and beans.
- 8.4g fat (1.4g saturated)
- 63.6g (4.8g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 150g prepared squid, chopped into 1cm pieces (see delicious. Kitchen for a guide to squid prep)
- ¼-½ tsp saffron, toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tsp smoked sweet pimentos (see Know-how)
- 1 tsp smoked hot pimenton (see Know-how)
- 2 large fresh tomatoes on the vine, finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 650ml chicken stock
- 500g fideu pasta (see tip)
- 200g sustainable peeled raw tiger prawns (we used frozen Big & Juicy prawns, from Waitrose)
- 200g vac-packed cooked Scottish mussels, in the shells if possible, drained
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
You’ll also need…
- 34-36cm paella pan or large shallow casserole
- Heat the olive oil in the pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the onion and pepper until soft (about 8 minutes). Stir in the squid and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the saffron and both types of pimentón, stirring for a minute over the heat. Add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in the peas and herbs, then pour in the stock. Season well. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the pasta. Bring back to the boil and bubble over a medium-high heat, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Push the prawns into the pasta, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the mussels, tucking the hinges down into the pasta. Cover the pan with 2 sheets of thick foil and simmer for 5-10 minutes over the heat until all the mussels are heated through.
- Take the pan off the heat and set aside to rest for 5 minutes, covered with the foil. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...