Garlic baked potatoes with Lancashire cheese
- January 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min. Oven time 2 hours
Bored of regular jackets? Load smoky baked potatoes with roast garlic, creamy Lancashire cheese, chives and sour cream for some next-level comfort food.
Recipe taken from Foolproof Veggie One-Pot by Alan Rosenthal (Quadrille £14)
Browse more ways to jazz up your jackets.
- 11g (6.8g saturated)
- 62g (4.2g sugars)
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 small garlic bulb
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 100g vegetarian lancashire cheese (or strong vegetarian cheddar)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Chopped chives to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork and season with some salt, then put in a wide shallow baking tin. Cut the garlic bulb in half across the circumference and put it on a piece of foil. Drizzle over the olive oil. Wrap it up in the foil and put in the tin with the potatoes. Pop the tin in the oven, uncovered, for 1-1½ hours or until the potatoes are cooked in the middle when tested with a skewer (the exact timing will depend on how big your potatoes are). Remove the garlic after 1 hour. Once they’re ready, cut the tops off the potatoes, using a tea towel to protect your hands.
- Scoop out the flesh and add to a large bowl. Using your fingers, squeeze out the garlic cloves from their papery cases and add to the bowl, along with the smoked paprika, 75g of the cheese, the spring onions, soured cream, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Give it all a good mix.
- Divide the mixture between the hollowed-out potatoes, allowing the stuffing to pile up. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for another 25-30 minutes until browned on top. Sprinkle with chives and serve with dressed salad leaves.
This simple recipe is great to cook with kids – just make sure the potatoes aren’t too hot when scooping out the flesh.
Get ahead by baking the potatoes and making the fillings in advance, allowing you to simply finish off the potatoes shortly before you’re ready to eat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bonfire Night recipes
Fire-baked potatoes with soured cream and fiery salsa
These mini baked potatoes are perfect for guests huddled around...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter