- 500ml whole milk
- 500ml double cream
- 50g caster sugar, plus 2-3 tbsp extra for sprinkling
- 180g pudding rice
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- Golden syrup to serve
- Put the milk, cream and sugar in a shallow casserole (one you’re happy to take to the table) and stir over a low heat until combined and the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir in the rice, vanilla seeds and pod, and simmer very gently for 45 minutes or until the rice swells and is tender – stir every once in a while to prevent the rice from catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Sprinkle the 2-3 tbsp caster sugar over the top of the pudding, then grill until golden and bubbling. Serve warm, drizzled with golden syrup.
- Any leftovers will keep for 2-3 days in a sealed container in the fridge – just make sure you cool and chill the pudding quickly. To serve, reheat until piping hot or serve cold with jam.