Gunpowder potato puffs
- December 2020
- Makes 15-16
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20-25 min, plus chilling
These easy, Indian-style puff gunpowder potato puffs are almost too good to share… but they do make fab party canapés.
Or, try these simple yet sensational sausage rolls, fired up with ‘nduja.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.2g fat (4.6g saturated)
- 2.8g protein
- 13.8g carbs (0.6g sugars)
- 1.2g fibre
- 0.4g salt
- 300g floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- 500g block ready-made puff pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp nigella seeds
- Mango chutney, to serve (optional)
- Put the potatoes into a pan of salted water, then boil for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and leave to steam dry.
- Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the cumin, fennel and coriander seeds until fragrant. Add the potatoes and mix to a rough mash, then leave to cool. Stir in the spring onions, chilli and fresh coriander and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to about 3mm thick, then stamp out 15-16 x 10cm circles, re-rolling as needed. Put 1 tbsp potato mixture in the centre of each one, brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg, then fold in half to enclose the filling. Press the edges with a fork to seal. Brush with more egg and sprinkle with the nigella seeds. Chill for 20 minutes, then bake at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed. Serve with mango chutney for dipping.
Cover leftovers and keep chilled for up to 2 days. Warm to serve. Or open freeze, then wrap and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost, then reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Impress this Christmas and New Year's Eve with...
Canapés and cocktails
Our nifty nibbles and classy cocktails will get...
Vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes
Serve up these vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes to...
Get your party off to a stylish start...
Indian side dishes
No Indian feast is complete without rice, dhal,...
Snacks and nibbles
Whether it's a platter of nachos, a bowl...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...