Gunpowder potato puffs
- December 2020
- Makes 15-16
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20-25 min, plus chilling
These easy, Indian-style puff gunpowder potato puffs are almost too good to share… but they do make fab party canapés.
Or, try these simple yet sensational sausage rolls, fired up with ‘nduja.
- 9.2g fat (4.6g saturated)
- 2.8g protein
- 13.8g carbs (0.6g sugars)
- 1.2g fibre
- 0.4g salt
- 300g floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- 500g block ready-made puff pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp nigella seeds
- Mango chutney, to serve (optional)
- Put the potatoes into a pan of salted water, then boil for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and leave to steam dry.
- Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the cumin, fennel and coriander seeds until fragrant. Add the potatoes and mix to a rough mash, then leave to cool. Stir in the spring onions, chilli and fresh coriander and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to about 3mm thick, then stamp out 15-16 x 10cm circles, re-rolling as needed. Put 1 tbsp potato mixture in the centre of each one, brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg, then fold in half to enclose the filling. Press the edges with a fork to seal. Brush with more egg and sprinkle with the nigella seeds. Chill for 20 minutes, then bake at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed. Serve with mango chutney for dipping.
Cover leftovers and keep chilled for up to 2 days. Warm to serve. Or open freeze, then wrap and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost, then reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Curry spiced sautéed potatoes
Debbie Major’s quick and easy recipe for curry-spiced sautéed potatoes...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter