Hake with beetroot, crème fraîche and dill
- December 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This low-calorie hake recipe is the perfect way to get cooking white fish. Spoon a dollop of crème fraîche on top and serve alongside buttery mash for a midweek meal with a difference.
If you’re a fan of white fish, you’ll love this baked hake with a lemon and herb crust.
- 19.3g (9.3g saturated)
- 22.7g (20g sugars)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 750g raw beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 x sustainable white fish fillets (use hake, cod or pollock)
- 75g full-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- 200g full-fat greek yogurt
- 2 large handfuls fresh dill (and chives if you have them), chopped
- Buttery mashed potato to serve
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-based pan (with a lid) over a medium heat, add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add the beetroot and cook for 5 minutes, then put the fish fillets on top of the vegetables in an even layer. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, mix the crème fraîche, horseradish and yogurt in a bowl until smooth. It should be a fairly runny sauce so you might need to add 3-4 tbsp water to loosen.
- Slightly reduce the heat under the fish and pour the creamy yogurt mixture over the fillets. Cover with a lid and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes until the fish is just cooked through. Sprinkle over the herbs, grind over a little black pepper and serve with creamy mashed potato.
Next time, make fish pie with a twist: Cook the vegetables as in step 1. Put them in an ovenproof dish, top with the fish, chopped herbs and the sauce from step 2, then cover with the mash. Bake for 25 minutes at 200°C/180°C/
gas 6 until cooked through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Crispy hake with cauliflower purée, apples and walnuts
Forget fish and chips – Nathan Outlaw’s crispy hake recipe is the way forward! Add...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...