- January 2015
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min, grilling time 15-20 min
Does a healthy fry up exist? Ask yourself no longer. Enjoy this fry-up for breakfast with our recipe that cuts the fat content down.
- 29g (7.4g saturated)
- 41.1g (2.7g sugars)
- 2 pork and venison sausages (we like Waitrose)
- 4 parma ham slices
- 1-2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 100g button mushrooms, halved
- 4 large free-range eggs (see tip)
- 2 sourdough slices
- Heat the oven to its lowest setting and the grill to medium. Grill the sausages for 10 minutes. Turn, add the ham, then grill for another 5 minutes or until cooked. Transfer the meat to a roasting tin and put in the oven to keep warm. (If you don’t have a separate grill, put the roasting tin in the bottom of the oven, loosely covered with foil.)
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, then cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes or until softened and coloured. Keep warm.
- Bring a medium pan of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into atea cup, then gently drop 2 into the water, keeping them apart(see tip). Poach for 2-3 minutes for runny yolks, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Repeat with the other 2 eggs (see Make Ahead).
- Lightly brush the sourdough with the remaining oil, then grill for 2 minutes on each side. Serve each slice of toast topped with 2 eggs, half the parma ham and mushrooms, and a good grinding of pepper, with a sausage on the side.
To cut the fat, we used leaner venison-mix sausages and parma ham instead of bacon, grilling rather than frying them. Rapeseed oil took the place of butter and we poached the eggs.
To poach 2 eggs at a time, bring a medium pan of water to a simmer, swirl with a spoon, then carefully slide the eggs into the vortex, one at a time. If they’re fresh, they should hold together and stay separate.
Poach the eggs up to an hour in advance, submerge in ice-cold water, then cover and chill. Reheat in simmering water for about 30 seconds.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...