Jalapeño mezcal margarita
- July 2023
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Are you partial to a margarita? This is the best version of the cocktail we’ve come across. Mezcal (tequila’s smoky cousin) and lime are offset by a cleverly simple jalapeño syrup to create a perfectly balanced cocktail with a fiery finish.
Entertaining a crowd? Make a pitcher of classic margarita.
- 0g fat (0g saturated)
- 12g (12g sugars)
- 200g jar sliced pickled jalapeños
- 100g sugar
- Tajin spice to rim the glass (optional)
- 1 lime
- 50ml mezcal
- 25ml Cointreau, triple sec or other orange liqueur
- Begin by making a jalapeño sugar syrup. Pour the jar of jalapeños into a small pan, including the liquid they’re stored in, then add the sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes. You should be left with crinkly, chewy jalapeños and a spicy sugar syrup. Leave to cool, then pour back into the jar.
- Sprinkle some Tajin onto a small plate (if using), then cut out a wedge of lime and run it around the rim of a cocktail glass. Tap the glass into the Tajin to get a nice even rim.
- Pour the mezcal, Cointreau, 25ml lime juice and 10g of the syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake, then pour through a strainer into the glass. Garnish with a few candied jalapeño slices and serve.
Don’t waste it: The candied jalapeños make a great topping for tacos or nachos – the perfect snack alongside your margarita. They’ll keep in the fridge for 3 months.
Easy swaps: Mezcal gives a wonderfully smoky flavour which works well with the jalepeños, but you can switch it with tequila if you prefer a more classic margarita.
Tajin is a Mexican spice blend of chilli, lime and salt, often used to sprinkle over fresh melon or pineapple. You can find it online or in specialist shops.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter