Katsu chicken bowls
- March 2022
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 10 min. Oven time 20-25 min
These colourful katsu chicken bowls only need 10 minutes prep, thanks to a few clever shortcuts. Serve with pickled ginger, sesame and rice.
Make the sauce from scratch with our classic chicken katsu curry recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 23.3g (4.5g saturated)
- 113.9g (7.1g sugars)
- 50g plain flour
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 free-range skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 180g long grain rice
- 150g katsu curry sauce, from larger supermarkets
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into rounds
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger (or sushi ginger)
- Sesame seeds and togarashi (optional; see Know How) to
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Put the flour and egg in separate bowls. In another bowl, toss the panko crumbs with some salt and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumb mixture to coat well. Lay each piece on a baking tray as you go. Drizzle with the sesame oil, then cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions and heat the katsu sauce in a small pan over a medium heat. Drain the rice, then divide between 2 deep bowls. Top with the crispy chicken and katsu sauce, then add the cucumber, carrot and pickled ginger. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and togarashi, if using.
Scale it up: It’s easy to double this recipe to serve 4.
Togarashi (it means ‘seven spice’) is a chilli-based Japanese spice mix with extra citrus and seaweed flavours. Buy it online from souschef.co.uk.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...