Lamb chops with mushrooms and madeira
- January 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30-35 min
Karen Barnes’ lamb chop recipe, served with roasted potato wedges, makes for an easy midweek meal.
- 25g (8.1g saturated)
- 41.7g (8.2g sugars)
- 4 potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100ml madeira or port (or anything you have open – sherry or white wine will also work)
- 4 large lamb chops, trimmed
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- Steamed savoy cabbage, to serve, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Slice the potatoes into wedges, put in a large roasting tin, then toss with 1 tbsp oil and season. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the porcini in 125ml boiling water.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Chop the onion, then fry gently for 10 minutes until soft. Slice and add the fresh mushrooms. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Drain the porcini (reserve the liquid), then chop finely and add to the pan with their liquid, the mustard and madeira/port.
- Heat the remaining oil over a high heat. Season the chops. Fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Add the lamb and thyme to the potatoes. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes for medium.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the mushrooms, taste and season. Serve the lamb and potatoes with the sauce and steamed cabbage, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lamb chops with warm lentils and feta
Lamb chops are the ultimate quick supper – pair them with with healthy lentils and...
May seasonal recipes
Rick Stein’s Icelandic breaded lamb chops with spiced red cabbage
Rick Stein’s breaded lamb chop recipe hails from Iceland and is undeniably moreish. Serve alongside...