Lemon sponge pudding
- November 2005
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 40 minutes to bake
A light and zesty self-saucing lemon sponge recipe for all occasions.
- 14.9g (8.4g saturated)
- 44.7g (33.8g sugar)
- 75g butter, plus extra to grease
- 190g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 75g self-raising flour
- 200ml milk
- Lightly grease a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish with a little butter. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until softened. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, then briefly mix in the flour. Gradually stir in the milk and lemon juice – the mixture will look slightly curdled.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold them into the lemon mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until the sponge layer is firm and golden on top.
- Divide the pudding between bowls and serve immediately, with a spoonful of whipped cream, if you like.
Don’t panic when you make this and the mixture curdles – this is meant to happen!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead dessert recipes
Baked lemon curd syrup sponges with brandy custard
We’ve given these dainty sponges a little grown-up treatment with a slug of brandy, a...