Lobster with melon and cucumber cocktail
- May 2011
- 1 cooked lobster (about 750g)
- 180g ripe charentais melon (about a quarter of an average melon)
- 100g piece of cucumber
- 70g good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp soured cream or crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1½ tsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 3 shakes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large or 2 smaller little gem lettuces
- Pinch of paprika
- Remove the meat from the lobster. Cut the tail and claw meat into small similar-size pieces. You won’t need the grey-green liver (tomalley) or roe in this recipe.
- Scoop out the seeds from the melon and discard. Slice the flesh from the skin (discard the skin) and cut into chunks, the same size as the lobster pieces. Peel the cucumber, halve lengthways, then scoop out the seeds with a melon-baller or teaspoon. Cut into chunks the same size as the melon pieces.
- For the cocktail dressing, put the mayonnaise into a bowl, then stir in the soured cream or crème fraîche, ketchup, creamed horseradish, Tabasco and lemon juice.
- Discard the outer leaves from the lettuce(s) and finely shred the remainder. Divide evenly among4 or 6 prawn cocktail dishes, large wine coupes or small glass bowls. Gently stir the lobster meat, melon and cucumber into the cocktail dressing, then divide equally among the glasses or bowls, piling it on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle with a little paprika and serve with thinly sliced brown bread and butter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...