Mackerel pâté with quick-pickled radishes and spelt
- March 2018
- Serves 6 for a light lunch or 12 for canapés
- Hands-on time 30 min
Homemade mackerel paté is an easy but impressive starter, that takes very little time to make. It’s served here with a Hoxton Bakehouse spelt loaf for the perfect sharing nibble.
- 22.1g (9.7g saturated)
- 22.6g (3.8g sugars)
- 6 slices of Hoxton Bakehouse stoneground spelt loaf
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, to spread
For the pâté
- 230g hot-smoked mackerel fillets
- 2 tsp grated fresh horseradish
- 4 heaped tbsp crème fraîche
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped dill, plus extra to serve
For the quick-pickled radishes
- 150g mixed radishes
- 240ml cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- To make the pâté, skin the mackerel fillets and flake the flesh into a food processor with the remaining pâté ingredients. Pulse a few times to blend to a coarse texture. Taste, season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper and taste again, adding more lemon/horseradish/salt/pepper as needed. Transfer to a bowl and chill, covered.
- An hour or two before you want to serve, finely slice the radishes (use a mandoline if you have one) and put in a bowl of iced water while you make the pickling liquid. Put the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and peppercorns in a pan and simmer to dissolve the sugar. Add the radishes, remove from the heat and leave to cool, then cover and store in the fridge until needed.
- Toast the bread, spread with butter, then spoon on generous amounts of the pâté. Serve the radishes on the side or put a layer of them, drained, on top. Serve with a sprinkle of dill.
Prepare the pâté up to 3 days in advance and keep in a sealed container in the fridge. The pickle is best made no more than 2 hours in advance – any longer and the radishes may start to smell fermenty.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Speedy salmon recipes
Smoked salmon pâté with quick-pickled radish and cucumber
Smoked salmon pâté, served with blinis or toasted sourdough, is...
Savoury custard with mackerel and pickled rhubarb (chawanmushi)
Rhubarb and custard in a savoury setting? You bet –...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter